My original NIE expired on September 1st, so on July 20th, before heading back to Canada, I called to make an appointment to renew it so I could stay another year. They gave me the appointment for October 11.
In September, I got a call from a hidden number, saying that my appointment location had been changed, from Padre Piquer to to C/Faustino, 23, at Canillejas, where there is a new Oficina de Extranjeros.
Today I took the metro across the city, and was seen within five minutes of arrival at the office.
Before this appointment, they might not tell you anything about what to bring, or what they do tell you may be wrong, but let’s face it, that is your problem and your fault, not theirs, and you really should have known better.
Be prepared to spend a lot of money on photocopying.
¡OJO! If you’ve changed addresses since you got your original NIE, you need a Certificado de Empadronamiento. A housing contract is NOT enough. Nor are utility bills. Nothing else works. If it were that easy, the bureaucracy would collapse and people would lose their jobs and DO YOU HATE PEOPLE? Go register in your neighbourhood and make like you really live here.
Never mind that last year, all you did was use your friend’s address and they didn’t ask any questions. No more talking.
So really, well before your NIE appointment date (OOPS!) make an appointment with your friendly neighbourhood empadronamiento office.
You can make an appointment for this online.Select: Tipo de servicio “Atencion al ciudadano” –> Gestión “Padron” –> Office in your neighbourhood.
Finally, we have now arrived at the actual appointment itself.
You will need:
1. The paid tax: Tasa Modelo 790
(You fill this out online, print all 3-4 pages of this form, bring it all to the bank, and pay the tax – BEFORE they will even see you for an appointment.
For student NIE renewal, it was 16,32.)
2. 2 copies of form EX-00 “Solicitud de autorización de estancia y prórrogas”
Note – these are new forms – anything from last year or perhaps even a couple months ago are no longer valid. Bring EX-00.
3) Your current passport and 2 photocopies of EVERY page in the passport.
4. Your NIE (and student card if you have one) and 2 photocopies of these.
5. Photocopy of your health insurance policy (seguro médico) and póliza de repatriación – to show that if you die in Spain, your insurance covers repatriation of remains, or whatever.
(BEDA-ers, photocopy the first 4 pages of your Caser Salud Activa booklet and the whole Repatriacion document.)
6. The original document of your current contract, in colour, stamped, signed. And a photocopy, just because.
7. Evidence that you completed your studies/contract in 2010/2011, ie, a colourful, stamped, signed letter from your school. (“Certificado del centro de estudios que acredite que ha prestado servicios durante el curso 2010/2011”)
8. Bank statement from the last 6 months showing all transactions – stamped by the bank. (“Movimientos bancarios de los 6 ultimos meses, sellado”)